Friday, March 1, 2013

9 in 5 by 23

I follow a blog called Wit & Whistle. I love this blog. In fact, it was after discovering this blog and reading all of the posts that I realized that I would love to blog and that I could do it. She is so creative and fun, but also so accessible. I could totally relate, even if I was a little jealous of her life. ;)

Anyway, she posted about this idea of writing a list of things that you would like to do within a year of a single age. The lists contain a number of tasks that matches your current age and you are to finish them before your next birthday. She just finished her first list and had her birthday and has begun another. It's like a "bucket list" for a single year of life. I love this idea. I have loved reading the various posts about her progress and I've been inspired to do my own.

I, however, am just under 5 months from my next birthday. I turn 23.

So I have started working on my "23 by 24" list. While I was thinking of tasks, I had a lot come up that I wanted to get started on (and could even finish) before my next birthday. These obviously either couldn't or shouldn't be on my 23 by 24 list so I got to thinking, maybe I should start a shorter list right now!

I thought of this idea on February 26, 2013, which is exactly five months from my 23rd birthday (can anyone say "destiny!"). So, here was my train of thought:
I have exactly 5 months til I turn 23. I would have had a "22 by 23" list had I started one this past birthday. Here's what I figure: 
(22 tasks / 12 months) = 1.833 tasks/month
1.833 tasks/month x 5 months = 9.166 tasks ~ 9 tasks.
So I will write a "9 in 5 by 23" list!! 
(Talk about nerding out and using unit analysis on this computation - such an engineer... O.o) 

  1. Become proficient at driving a manual transmission.
  2. Turn the Magic Tree tea shop box into a jewelry box.
  3. Go through and organize all of my old 35mm prints.
  4. Take couple's photos with Kyle throughout the Palouse.
  5. Go through the books in the garage: donate vs. keep.
  6. Do Wild at Art in Moscow, ID. 
  7. Take a trip (not including to Seattle or to anywhere in eastern WA)
  8. Do at least 30 min of cardio 3 times weekly.
  9. Go through my closet: donate vs. keep and determine at least 3 common traits of my favorite items, try to buy more items that suit my personal style instead of items bought on a whim. 
I'm starting off this habit of a year of life to do list, taking it a little easy. I expect a lot of changes between now and my birthday. With these changes and other things, I want to keep my goals pliable to ensure that I maintain one of my favorite personal character traits - flexibility. 

But my "23 by 24 list" is going to be even more awesome, I can already tell! ;) You'll just have to wait until my birthday to hear what I've got planned for the year! 

What do you think? 
What would you do? :D

Even if you don't make a list or need a list - I hope you are constantly looking to do things that you want to do and not always the things you have to do. ;) 

Stay excellent! 

- Jenny -

No comments:

Post a Comment