Saturday, January 21, 2012

Snowy Dreams

So this week, I have experienced a lot of snow! I wasn't sure if we were going to get any snow this year in Pullman, WA. Usually, we get snow fairly consistently through the winter with a couple of "snowpocaplyse" days. This year was pretty warm though. We only had one real snowfall and it was before Thanksgiving! And then it was all just frost and cold nights. The snow finally showed up though! So, as I said in my last post, I went to LookOut Pass on the ID-MT border with my club AIChE WSU for our second annual Ski Trip. It was a lot of fun. Good times were had by all. We were up there on Saturday, stayed the night in Kellogg, skied and snowboarded on Sunday, and drove back that night. It's a good thing that we drove back that night, too, because the next day LookOut Pass and 4th of July Pass (the two passes we drove through) were closed.

When we arrived in Pullman, it was snowing pretty heavily and it continued to do so all the way through to Thursday! Heck, WSU even cancelled classes on Thursday and that never happens. I also got the splendid opportunity to get my Infiniti out of a pickle by putting on my snow chains all on my own! It was quite the adventure.

With all the snow this week, I have been prompted to look into the Winter Wonderland fun that people from all over have during the snowy parts of the year and something that has always been of interest to me is snow sculpting. I have tried my hand at it in my back yard a couple of times, but these sculptures from the International Snow Sculpture Championships, held in Breckenridge, CO are truly amazing!
(Pictures via here)


Milite Est Vita, by Team Lithuania - 1st place winners 2010


Discovery, by Team Breckenridge - 1st place winners 2006

When Winter Comes, by Team Canada - 1st place winners 2003

It's just awe-striking, right? Crazy cool. Maybe someday I'll try my hand at something so immense! The website for this competition also has links to videos about how they make the giant snow blocks for the competitions - it's pretty cool! ;)
- Jenny -

1 comment:

  1. Too Awesome! perhaps we will have to collaborate on a sculpture of our own sometime!!! :D <3~Anna

    ReplyDelete